Happy sunny Saturday from the Mitten! I’m feeling grateful for the sunshine, my blooming magnolia tree and I’m excited to spend the day with my family. We are celebrating my youngest son’s birthday and Mother’s Day. But first, lets talk about the Mitten Moments from my week!
Affiliate links are used in this post. Read my full disclosure here.
It’s Derby Day! Do you watch it? If so, do you have a gathering to watch or do you pick a favorite horse? Having a father raised in Kentucky, Derby Day was always one I remember. Everytime I hear “My Old Kentucky Home”, I shed a tear thinking about him. Someday, I’ll host a Derby party, but for today, I’ll just be watching.
Last Saturday, I went thrifting at the Michigan Antique Festival. It was a fun day with family and there were so many good finds. I’ve been wanting some amber depression glass for some time now and I got this set for a steal! Keep your eyes open, you’ll be seeing more of these on the blog.
Okay…help a girl out.
Am I the only one that didn’t know about the show Cheap Old Houses? I literally just found out about the show, this week.
Needless to say, I missed the season when it initially aired, so I’m catching up on Hulu. It stars Ethan and Elizabeth Finkelstein. The show follows the couple as they discover inexpensive old houses. It’s different from most home shows, in the respect that they don’t fix them up. They feature them on their extremely successful social media account and anyone can purchase them.
If you’re looking for something to watch definitely check it out!
Monday, I gave away my extra copy of The Pioneer Woman Magazine. My friend Amy from Amy Sadler Designs won! Why I keep getting two copies I’ll never know, but it always blesses me to give something to one of you!
This Week On The Blog
This week on the blog, I shared 7 Of The Best Outdoor Decor Items For Summer. I loved my patio last year, but I’ve been planning some changes for the space this summer. I’ve already purchased a few new items and hope to finish decorating it within the next couple of weeks.
If you didn’t get to see my favorites I would love it if you checked them out!
Also, when you pin my pictures it really helps me and my blog.
A Few Favorite Mitten Moments
So many people celebrated Cinco de Mayo, this week. We had a Mexican dinner night with my mom and I found this yummy recipe from Michele at Vintage Home Designs. Her Mexican Street Corn Dip looks so yummy and how pretty it is to serve to your family and friends!
If you don’t know Michele go give her a follow. She has a beautiful home and always sets the prettiest tables!
Do you know Lauren and Robert from Bless’er House? If you don’t, you should. They are a DIY-duo sharing all their goodness and they have the prettiest blog. This week they shared 8 Home Office Ideas Lounge Ideas to Boost Productivity and Function.
How about that faux leather futon?
Since it is Mother’s Day weekend, how about some Mother’s Day trivia!
- More calls are made on Mother’s Day than any other day of the year. Approximately 122 million!
- Mother’s Day is the third highest selling holiday for plants and flowers.
- The first thing a baby can vocalize is the ‘ma’ sound. That’s why in almost every language the word for mother begins with the letter ‘M’ or is some iteration of the ‘ma’ sound. Who knew??
- During and following the Civil War, Anna Jarvis made a concerted effort to foster friendship and community between the mothers on both sides of the war. Anna formed a committee which established the first glimmer of today’s holiday: “Mother’s Friendship Day.”
- Carnations have a special meaning on Mother’s Day. Anna Reeves Jarvis used a carnation on Mother’s Day to symbolize whether your mother was living. A red carnation meant she was, and a white meant she had passed.
- Woodrow Wilson signed Mother’s Day into law in 1914, as a nationwide holiday.
Here are some other WONDERFUL moments I found this week:
This easy summer porch
Well, that’s all my Mitten Moments for this Saturday!
As always, I’m so grateful you’re here!
I hope all the moments of your Saturday bring you more joy than you could imagine and I hope you have a special Mother’s Day!